You can personalize this copy of the script to help you get great results with your own clients...
Active Constructive Listening
Developing active constructive listening skills is an essential life skill.
We can break it down into simple, easy to master steps.
- Listen carefully when people you care about tell you about good things and the bad things that have happened.
- Make an effort to respond actively and in a constructive way.
- Display your understanding of the strengths they have developed from their experiences.
- Ask positive questions, such as ‘how did you do that?’ or ‘how did you cope?’
- Amplify the strengths that the person developed from adversity.
- Make mental notes of the highs and lows they have experienced.
- Notice when people use their strengths and comment on them rather than pointing out what they are doing wrong.